We don’t need an acre of land and a straw hat to enjoy walking out our door and harvesting your own vegetables & fruit, and sharing it with your family & friends. This week I harvested artichokes, strawberries and basil to make a delicious appetizer that the whole family enjoyed.
Today I’m going to share with you a few tips for preparing your artichokes and a great dipping sauce.
- Harvest artichokes when they are starting to open but have not blossomed yet. (This is when they will have the most “meat”)
- Soak your artichokes in water and drain 2-3 times in order to free any dirt or bug that may be inside.
- Cut the tips of the artichoke petals with a scissor since they are sharp.
- Steam the artichoke with 1/2 lemon for ~30 min.
- Small jar (16oz) of Mayo or veganaise
- 3 Tbsp honey or agave
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Handful of washed basil
- 3 dashes of celery salt
- 3 dashes of paprika
- 3-6 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you like garlic)
- *optional slice of hot pepper
There is nothing like fresh ingredients and a garden that can inspire a few new dishes and some variety in our meals!